I’ve actually written more than one thousand blog postings, but some have been removed and some were posted elsewhere. I added a WordPress blog to Muschamp.ca during my MBA. I was encouraged to do so by recruiters and my MBA classmates, I guess they found me amusing or they took some pleasure from my misadventures.
During the time I’ve been using WordPress to blog I’ve mostly been sick and I’ve mostly been unemployed. A lot of painful events and experiences have been documented. Many have now been edited and/or removed, but the truth is still out there as the X-Files fans used to say. More and more I’ve tried to use this platform to teach, to pass on what little wisdom I’ve gained having gone through some very painful experiences.
Some people seem to think that blogging or social media is all good, all the time. Alas many people other than me have had negative experiences sharing their thoughts and life online with friends, family, and of course strangers. Some people have inadvertently made public something they wanted kept private. Others have posted some tidbits in passing that have later landed them in hot water with their employer or mate. I’m well aware of the of the dangers of electronic communication, others have warned of the perils of social networking too.
90% of Everything is Crap
It has been proven mathematically. That still leaves 100 posts that are worth reading. I’ve already posted enough Top Ten lists. So rather than follow that formula, here are some bullet points to consider:
- You are your Google results.
- If you don’t care enough to do or say anything, then you don’t really care.
- Some people will always seek to preserve the facade of normalcy no matter the cost to others.
- Ridicule is easier than Reconciliation.
- Be wary of anyone calling themselves a guru.
- Passion trumps Proficiency.
- Post Quality, not frequency is what matters.
- Focus + Repetition = #winning
- People who don’t have a good answer to “Why?” rarely stick with
- Saying you always look forward to seeing someone, is about the nicest compliment you can give them.
- Publishing daily leads to too much drivel.
- No blog is an island.
- A picture may be worth a thousand words, but a thousand words will perform better in Google.
- A good post title is Retweetable.
- Porn powers the Internet.
- Always bet on cute.
- Never Google “How to commit murder”.
- Never blog about human anatomy or your own mental health problems.
- Collecting strange keyword referrals and blogging about them, leads to even more disturbing referrals.
- Sometimes it is best to just step away from the keyboard and say nothing.
- No matter how many times experts claim it, not everyone can blog their way to a better career.
- “Be so good they can’t ignore you.”
- “Don’t let the bastards get you down.”
Now Some More Quotations
If the fool would persist in his folly he would become wise.
You never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough.
Update September 2015
This month marks the ten year blogiversary of Muskblog and also marks the 20th year I’ve been maintaining a homepage online. So of course I blogged about it. I also think I’ve deleted even more posts since I hit the 1000 post milestones. Only 852 posts have been deemed worthy of making it the ten year blogiversary. As much as I value honesty and integrity, somethings are just not worth keeping online forever and somethings are definitely detrimental to your career and happiness to post online.