On this blog there is a lot of crap. On most blogs there is a lot of crap. However in the five plus years I’ve been blogging and the 15 years I’ve been self publishing on the Internet I have posted information and advice people have actually found useful. Every now and then someone finds something I wrote a year or more ago in Google and thanks me. Sometimes I even write more on that subject or add additional updated advice or information in the comments section.
Top 10 Useful Blog Postings
- Spreadsheets I made you can steal (use) remains a popular post.
- My advice to CFA students seems more popular than my advice to MBA students nowadays.
- Moving to Vancouver and Finding a job, I wrote this to help someone, I’m not sure they ended up moving to Vancouver, but this post helped a number of people and was popular on LinkedIn for a while.
- I’ve written a lot about looking for a job online and collected the best of that advice into a single post.
- I collected the best of my online writing advice into it’s own Top 10 style collection.
- My account of visiting Baidu and my thoughts on their technology and business strategy was one of the first Internet famous things I blogged about.
- I’d like to think all the time and effort I put into making web mashups with PHP and then giving away most of the code was of use to someone.
- I’ve actually written way too much PHP and then given it away such as how to merge RSS feeds with SimplePie.
- Ditto for all the work I put in stopping hotlinkers from stealing all my bandwidth. This post was recently commented on, and it’s utility sparked this post and collection.
- After the inaugural Web Directions North, I turned my resume into an hResume. Not sure it impressed anyone at Google, though other people have followed my lead or used my template.